Postby Editor 1 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:10 am

The Story of The Resurrection

Tên của Diễn Đàn: Tea Lounge
Editor 1

I am: Reader

Re: Easter *** Images of The Resurrection ***

Postby Editor 1 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:29 am

At the earliest indication of dawn,
the devoted Mary Magdalene and other faithful women set out for the tomb, bearing spices and ointments which they had prepared for the further anointing of the body of Jesus. Some of them had been witnesses of the burial, and were conscious of the necessary haste with which the corpse had been wrapped with spicery and laid away by Joseph and Nicodemus, just before the beginning of the Sabbath; and now these adoring women came early to render loving service in a more thorough anointing and external embalmment of the body

On the way as they sorrowfully conversed, they seemingly for the first time thought of the difficulty of entering the tomb. “Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?” they asked one of another. Evidently they knew nothing of the seal and the guard of soldiery...

But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb.
As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb, and she saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had been lying, one at the head and the other at the feet.

They said to her “Woman, why are you weeping?”She said to them “They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid him”.

When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not know that it was Jesus.

Editor 1

Re: Easter *** Images of The Resurrection ***

Postby Editor 1 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:18 am

(Read John 20:11-18, Mark 16:1-11, Luke 24:1-11, Matthew 28:1-10)

Mary saw and heard Jesus.
She was the first witness of the Resurrection.

She was convinced that he was alive, although she was too distraught to recognize him immediately.

It is interesting that in this moment of extreme emotion she calls him 'rabbouni', the title his disciples would have used.

She did not call him by his own personal name of 'Jesus', which she surely would have done if she and Jesus had had the sort of intimate relationship that has been suggested in popular novels. She used the word she had always used as his name, 'rabbouni', teacher.

Jesus told Mary not to cling to him, but to let him go. He was telling her that their former way of life has ended, that she must let go and move on. They are words that are often said by those who seek to comfort and advise people who are grieving.

Editor 1

Return to Religion